Sunday, May 18, 2014

Random Thoughts on My First Five Days as a Foster Mom

  • I knew that I would be emotional about the child and the situation, and everything that comes along with it.  I did not expect to be so emotional about everything ELSE - every little song, commercial, comment... things that have nothing to do with foster care.
  • I lost four pounds in four days.  I did not anticipate foster care being a weight loss plan.  I am eating; I think I'm just not snacking as much as I usually do.
  • Pumpkin (my cat) has not been so sure about what to do with all of the strangers in the house.  But he has kept his comfy spot in Evie's room, and she likes to have him there when she is going to sleep.
  • I did not anticipate the anxiety with every police car we see.  "Is that the popo?  Why are they parked there?"  It makes sense, but that didn't even cross my mind. 
  • I have been around kids and worked with them almost all my life.  So then how did I not realize four year olds asked SO MANY questions?!  Constant.  Granted, almost all of the kids I work with in my career have cognitive and/or language delays, so I guess my interaction with a typically developing four year old in recent years is limited.
  • Evie has had lots of emotional outbursts and bouts of crying about wanting and missing her mommy; but this has improved especially during the day.  However, there has only been one night so far that she has slept all night without crying for her mommy at some point.
  • She is such a sweet little girl!  One night as I was putting her to bed, she said, "I'm glad you're taking care of me."  Melted my heart.  I'm sure it helped that her mom had told her on the phone to listen to me because I was a "very nice lady" so kudos to mom for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment